woke in slumberland

...but you were part of my dream, too.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Of Postcards and Statements

Wawi Navarroza writes in the most curious, delightful, almost archaic fashion, even in her emails. I received the loveliest missive from her, one no less endearing for being projected on an electronic screen. It began by thanking me for my postcard:

It was a very beautiful moment, the exact instance i saw the postcard lying on the console table waiting for me as i entered the front door when I arrived home, just now. I walked to it, sizing it up almost slowly from a distance then, closer, I was captivated by the image and I knew it was meant for me even without holding it up to discover who sent it. I really liked it so much. I thought the person who sent this is far away and is someone who knows my heart's delights, surely must be someone dear.


Such a profuse thank-you for such a little thing; it leaves a wonderful feeling. And, certainly, it made me want to send her more postcards!

Today i've been trying to write an artistic statement--because, when you're trying to get into a residency program, it's not enough to say that you're an artist. You have to justify yourself--which means, i suppose, that you have to prove that there's a point to what you're doing.

What i do is take photos and play with them digitally. I'm not sure that there's any point to it, except that it's what i love to do. I see my works as art, because they are objects that came from me. Without me they would not exist. These images carry the impress of my soul.

They are personal works. And the ones that are most precious to me are often the ones which are less striking or less visually perfect. Some of them are hardly more than snapshots. Yet i find them beautiful and fascinating because they capture a moment that is psychologically interesting. It's like the flicker of a storyline whose whole you can only imagine. Never mind that there are all sorts of messy details that detract from the cleanness and focus of the photographic image. They are pictures of the real world. They were not taken in a studio.

That is my statement, i suppose.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:23 PM, Blogger little kernel said…

    I completely agree; those pictures that aren't professionalized, but are rather snippets of real life are the most poignant. This is what I've tried to do with words in my blog--present real life, humorous stories of things real people do.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home